Drafting or amending bylaws may seem like a daunting task, and we think it is(!), but we have resources to help you!
The process for drafting or amending bylaws is:
- Form a small committee to draft or amend your church bylaws
- Obtain a copy of the Guide to Writing Church Bylaws – this is always available on myCPD or from Ken Daly, District Bylaw Coach
- Contact Ken Daly with any questions that may arise as you work
- Obtain board approval of the draft or amended bylaws and email Ken Daly a copy for his review
- Make District-recommended changes where you see the wisdom in doing so
- Obtain board approval for the final draft version
- Formally adopt the bylaws at a meeting of the membership of the church
- Submit the adopted bylaws and a copy of the official minute from the membership meeting to the District Superintendent for District Executive Committee (DEXCOM) approval
- Once approved, the District Office will notify the board
We have two important resources for you as you walk through this process to draft or amend your church bylaws:
Ken Daly is our District Bylaw Coach. He brings warmhearted expertise to drafting and amending church bylaws. Ken is authorized by the District Superintendent (DS) and DEXCOM to work directly with church leaders as they prepare bylaws to come to DEXCOM for approval, as all bylaws must. Ken is very aware that he serves as a resource to our churches and that the authority for bylaw approval rests with the DS and DEXCOM. Please consult Ken with any questions you may have and email your Board-approved draft bylaws to him at email@example.com, and he will be notified that you are in the process of preparing or amending your bylaws.
The Guide to Writing Church Bylaws is a document that includes information, worksheets, forms, and a template to help you through the process of bylaw creation or revision. The worksheets and templates are in Word format for easy editing and to help you work through all the questions and items to consider for drafting or amending bylaws. The Model Church Bylaws, part of the Guide, is a helpful template for you to use that includes clauses that are mandated by DEXCOM for church bylaws, as well as clauses that are suggested or reflect best practices, in the opinion of the district.