Criminal Record Checks
If you are a licensed worker in the CPD, you are required to have a current criminal record check in your personnel file at the District Office. A criminal record check should:
- be completed through your local RCMP or police detachment
- include a vulnerable sector check
- be submitted to the District Office once complete
- be completed every 3 years
Please note that criminal record checks completed through other sources such as myBackCheck or the Ministry of Justice will not be accepted due to the following reasons:
- Criminal record checks completed thorough myBackCheck are not as thorough as those completed through the RCMP or your local police.
- The Ministry of Justice itself has recommended to us that all official workers go through the RCMP or their local police for a criminal record check.
- While Ministry of Justice criminal record checks are as thorough as those done through the RCMP or local police, they do not disclose as much information as RCMP and local police checks do.
- While each church may determine how they screen volunteers, paid leaders should be examples in trustworthiness and transparency and as such, a more thorough check sets a higher standard.
If you have any questions about criminal record checks, please contact the District Office.